X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaking tranny..

so i have a 97 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton, and the tranny is leaking from what looks to be the gasket around the pan. my question is....is this a sloppy job? I have never done ANYthing with an auto transmission, but have heard that this gets pretty messy. Would i be better off doing this myself, or should i take it somewhere and have them do the filter and new ATF and all that good stuff? I dont really have time to do it, so what would it cost at a shop? My girlfriend is getting pissed about the stains on the driveway, so i better just get it fixed......thanks for all your input in advance

It's just messy because there is no drain plug on them. Get a new filter and gasket and you should be set, definatly something you can do as long as it's easily accessable.

Comment

i can get all that stuff at napa, autozone, etc? do they usually stock that stuff? thanks...

Comment

If you really don't have time (it's not a long project though) and you take it somewhere, they will "flush" the system. Just draining the pan won't get all the oil - like in your motor. The flush is a good thing but not necessarily essential. How many miles since the last fluid change? That would be the deciding factor for me.

Off Topic, how do you like your truck? I'm considering a '98-'01 quad cab 4x4. I've heard the V8's/auto's in those years aren't too dependable.

Comment

if you get something large to catch the fluid it's not bad. you have loosen the pan bolts so that one corner will hang down further than the opposite corner. that way the fluid tends to flow to that low point and not just splash all over when the pan hits the floor. once it's out drill a hole in the pan and put a drain plug in it. they sell them at auto zone/napa/where ever, or you can just weld a nut to the bottom side of the pan. keep in mind that when you drain the fluid, you will not get the fluid out of the radiator/aux cooler lines or torque converter unless you drain them to. but since you're only trying to fix the leak it doesn't matter. most "cheapo" places that change your fluid don't drain it all unless you specifically request it. that's a lot more expensive to have done to.

Comment

Originally posted by mjo79
            Off Topic, how do you like your truck? I'm considering a '98-'01 quad cab 4x4. I've heard the V8's/auto's in those years aren't too dependable.
            it is an alright truck. havent had any major probs with it. i have also heard that they have bad trans disease, but mine still works fine. the 360 is a dog with only 90k, but the newer ones i am sure are better. i like mine for the solid front axle. rides rougher than ifs, but i just liked it better when i bought it. will i ever buy another one?? i dont know, i plan to drive this one into the ground, so i guess it depends on what happens and how long it lasts. otherwise, not a bad truck

Comment

Working...
            X