X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wife totalled 4-Runner today

My wife totalled my 96 Toyota 4-Runner today, the roads were wet and slick, she hydroplaned, and went round and round, smacked a huge tree, while going backwards, she broke the seat and slid out from under the seatbelt and ended up in the backseat with all the groceries that she had just purchased,
    everything was all dry goods except for the 3 gallons of milk.
    on inside of the 4-Runner, it looked like a bunch of 2 year olds were trying to make chex party mix with all the pretzels, cereals and tortilla chips that seemed to have exploded upon impact.

the rear passenger side of the Runner was shifted atleast 1 foot over to the drivers side, it even bent the hitch/ball into a horseshoe shape, demolished the rear hatch/door and raised the top roof skin to about 8 ft. high in the rear, the only door that opens is the passenger side front door, there is about 20 inches of clearance between the rear passenger tire and the wheelwell moulding, I found a rear coil spring in the guys yard that she wrecked in, I found her prescription glasses in the rear compartment, I also found her cell phone in the very back compartment, and she was talking to me on the cell when she wrecked, she said "I'M WRECKING" and then I could hear stuff flying throughout the vehicle, but I never did hear the actual impact of the vehicle crashing,
    right now she is still in the hospital, they want to observe her overnight because her potassium level was very low 2.8 and the average level should be about 5.0, they said she could have died if she had not wrecked, because of her potassium level was so low that her heart could have stopped working,

so as bad as it may seem it might be a good thing that she wrecked otherwise she might have died from her potassium level being too low which should have killed her.
    the hospital wouldn't let me stay there overnight because they had to put her on was the maternity floor, it was the only available bed in the hospital, so her mother and sister-in-law are there with her now and until morning

My Runner was just getting broke in also,
    last weekend it turned 200,000 miles on the speedometer, I rebuilt this Runner about 140,000 miles ago, I bought it after someone else had flipped it into a mud bank, and crushed the roof in, so I bought it with the front sheetmetal destroyed, a crushed roof and with no windshield in it, I drove it home in that shape and replaced everything on it,
    I have always told everyone that
    "whosoever wrecks my 4-Runner they will be in deep shiat with me" because it was my "baby" I had stripped it inside and out to replace the roof skin,
    I pull the frame back into shape and replaced all the front panels, hood, fenders, etc.

my wife while laying in the hospital bed cried and told me that she was sorry for wrecking my "baby" I told her that it wasn't her fault for wrecking it and that they make new vehicles every day, and that wasn't the only Runner in the world, and we would see about getting another Runner, because this one is too far gone to fix.
    but hopefully she will be O.K. in the morning and get to come home so she can get some rest and relaxation.
    BTW, it was her first accident.

Ouch, hope the wifes ok. Can always scrap the old runner and begin a new project

Comment

WOW sounds like quite an accident. Hope shes good. Just curious what makes a persons potassium level drop like that? Are there any signs that she had that problem?

Comment

Causes include, but are not limited to kidney "malfunction" (keeping it simple for non-medical folk), vomiting, diarrhea, medications such as diuretics (stuff that makes you pee), steroids, insulin, and a whole lot of other stuff. Glad your wife is doing well. Now prepare for a ton of blood tests.

Comment

hope your wife's ok, forget about the car, just built a new one ;o)
          If you're going to think about repairing the 4-runner, first thing to do, get out that milk, it will smell badly after a few days and you will never get that smell out again...

Comment

oh man i hope she is ok and gets to come home .. i have high blood pressure and i just eat bananas and as willness said diuretics will do it fast and like you said theres alot of runners out there to choose from

Comment

WOW, so besides the whole potassium level issue (which in itself is a bad deal), is she ok? Bumps bruises and whatnot? It sucks about the Runner and all, but you only have one wife. Let us know how she is doing man, hope every thing in the health area works it self out.

Later,
              Augie

Comment

Glad she is Okay

Go to the Wal-mart...

Get the big 2 roll pack of Duck Tape and a tube of JB Weld.

I'm sure that runner will be good as new in a few weeks.

Or; I can sell you a new Jeep?

Comment

Since we have lived in Kentucky (12 years) we have seen or heard of more of these types of accidents more than we ever have before. It has to be the crooked narrow roads.

I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason so like you said this may have saved her life. We wish you both the best and hope for a speedy recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by willness33
                    Causes include, but are not limited to kidney "malfunction" (keeping it simple for non-medical folk), vomiting, diarrhea, medications such as diuretics (stuff that makes you pee), steroids, insulin, and a whole lot of other stuff. Glad your wife is doing well. Now prepare for a ton of blood tests.
                    as willness33 said, she does have a kidney problem, she has a little battery pack, surgically installed under the skin, that stimulates her kidney muscles, and for the past week she has been on prescription water pills, which affects the potassium level (everytime you pee you excrete potassium),

I picked her up at the hospital this morning and she's a little sore but otherwise she's doing O.K., she has a hematoma on her left inner thigh which the DR. said was about 2 pints of blood that had collected in a small area, we're watching that and making sure she moves around some otherwise when the blood starts to dilute back into the other blood it could be mixed with bloodclots and could move to her heart, so I have to keep her moving every now and then, just to be sure it doesn't clot up in big masses,
                    but I believe that she'll be fine,
                    she has to be tough to put up with me for the last 19 years.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepTales

I'm sure that runner will be good as new in a few weeks.

Or; I can sell you a new Jeep?
                      Nahh, the Runner is JUNK,
                      now she says she wants a VW Bug,
                      go figure,
                      crawl out of a 4-Runner and into a bug, i
                      t beats me where she gets her reasoning for that comment,
                      but we'll see what happens,
                      after the Insurance Company gets done with all the paperwork and the check is in my hands.

Comment

Women's intuition...

Black,

Forget the Runner. It sounds like you got your money out of it. Nurse your 'real' baby back to health and go out and look at 'bugs'. She asked for one because she 'knows'...They're darned fine cars and they sit LOW. We don't talk about it much here because I think it's a given, but the higher you are the harder you fall. Hope all works out well for you and your family.

Comment

Nice...

I lost my wife in a fatal, one car accident on December 14, 1982 at 4:01 AM. You are very fortunate that you don't have to know what that feels like. I have the very best wishes for you and yours! Give her a hug from those who know the other outcome.
                          tj2go

Comment

Working...
                          X