X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tube bender

Well, after getting my tube bent for my fenders I'm making I thought I might want to spend the money and actually get a bender for future projects. I was looking at harbor freight at the ones they have but I don't know what too look for or what to get. I am just looking to get something that wont burn that big of a hole in my pocket but be able to bend atleast 1 1/2" and 1 5/8" tube at most. so any help would be very appreciative.

well, I was looking at those machines over here and decided not to get one since here they really burn a hole in the pocket. I still go to a company to have tubes bent, they even made some pieces for my 8x8 with 6" outer diameter... it's still cheaper than having an own machine...
    hope you find a good one over there, good luck! let me know how it goes.

Comment

ive looked at a few at harbor freight, for the money they actually seem pretty good. only time would tell on how well they stand up to usage though. ive had real good luck with some of their stuff and not so good luck with other stuff.

Comment

has anyone gone to the places listed in the back of JP to look? I was at a couple websites, but I can't remember the names. The benders were kind of expensive, but they looked like they worked very effectively. I am going to build a custom cage to fit under the factory half cab and to tie in 5pt seat belts, so I had also thought about buying my own bender. I haven't had much luck with the bottle jack type bender in the past, but I think I had the wrong size die.

Comment

if you get/have a hydraulic press, you can put pipe bending jigs in it.

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
            if you get/have a hydraulic press, you can put pipe bending jigs in it.

now say what?

Comment

Try this............clicky here

Comment

danger no dont do it

bought one of those and if your not bending schedule 40 pipe you will be disapointed. the bends this thing makes are some of the worst bends ive ever laid my eyes on. it will distroy any tube les than .120 wall. BE WARNED!!!! see this www.tubeshark.com this is a nice bender that can be loaded with options latter or try www.vansantent.com model #3 it is afordable and have used with .090 wall tube with no problems and you can use other shape dies to bend brackets and other stuff

Comment

make sure you buy a TUBE bender, not a PIPE bender, in harbor freight and others, they sell a pipe bender, which uses dies that are different sizes than tube dies. Pipe dies will not work with tubing, and you don't wanna use pipe for anything but plumbing!

Comment

I found the website in jp about tube benders. It is www.mtechsupply.com, I hope this is helpful and good luck with future projects. I hope to have tube fenders on my TJ in the future.

02 TJ WARN bumpers,F/R and rock sliders
                    31" muds on stock wheels

Comment

I like a simple design like this: http://www.pro-tools.com/200.htm + reasonable die costs.

Start your reading here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/bendin_tube/

Good Luck.

Comment

the guys on pirate seem to like this guy...
                        http://www.medfordtools.com/mb3.html
                        it works good and they bend stuff up to .2 somthing I have read. It takes a long cheater bar and might mess up the die by they have done it on some occations... never buy a PIPE bender to use as a TUBE bender, not the same! and never make a rollbar add-on or new 6 point cage with anything less then .120 wall DOM tubing. I would not make anything on my rig less then .120 dom tube but that is just me.. I will probably use upwards of .180 wall tube for the rollbar and front hoop and tube fenders.

*edit* also get a good computer prog to help you lay out the bends and stuff before you try to just do it freestyle, DOM tube is NOT cheap
                        Last edited by Mud_slinga; 09-28-2005, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Here is another alternative. Tube Bender I'm in the market for a bender also. I need a hydraulic bender because i have no way to secure it to the floor due to radiant heat. Haven't decided if I want to build something like this or start with a Model 3.

Comment

Fubar, do you know of a source for the jigs for a press?
                            I like the model 3, and I may end up getting one. I'll buy the machine and make my brother buy the die Cuz I know he'll be using it as well. I like the hydraulic option for the model 3, but why not use air pressure? hmm, now that I think a little more, probably not enough PSI. Use an air cylinder and you don't need the hydraulic crap.

Comment

Originally posted by 79cj7duner
                              Fubar, do you know of a source for the jigs for a press?
                              no, but i'll ask my neighbor since he's the one that i know of who has them.

Comment

Working...
                              X