Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frankenstein engine swap

First post, and it's a nutty one:

I have a fuel injected 1987 automatic 3/4 ton (-I think) Ford Club Wagon full size van with a big dead/dying V8 engine. I also have a rusted-to-death (from winter road salt) 1990 Comanche with the 4.0L six which still runs fine with almost 150,000 miles (always changed oil regularly with Mobile One bla bla bla).

The idea of replacing the van's V8 with straight six has been mentioned, and since I have this straight six available, you know what I'm thinking. The power/torque numbers seem up to the job compared with the smaller available Ford engines for their vans back then, but would a transplant be practically possible?

What do you think?

Oh, and the van is just used to haul people. Fun levels of acceleration are not needed--just an adequate level. Thanks.

Comment

Mo,
      I'm going to move this over to Off Topic since it is dealing with an engine swap from a Jeep...not too a Jeep.

Welcome aboard!!!

Comment

Not sure when Chrysler started changing stuff after the buyout but the 258 bellhousing (manual) would bolt to a Ford tranny. Don't know if the 4.0 had the same bellhousing as the 258. Motor mounts and wiring may be the biggest problem though.

Comment

Working...
        X