X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Center lock Differential

O.k., as a follow up to my brake question, here's one for the new car. We bought a Toyota Sequoia. It is supposed to have a center locking differential. The manual does not give specifics as to the function or what the benefit is. The best I can find is that it splits the tourque 50/50 front to rear (internet search, not the manual). It does have an 2 speed transfer case w/ high and low range. You lock the center diff. by putting the transmission in L when it is in low range. Can anyone enlighten me on the function of this?

well in 4 hi its just like a fancy landrover, the least amount of wheels with traction is 1, or the front and rear axles spin at diff speeds so when you get both rear wheels stuck the front just spins freely, when you put it in 4lo it acts just like a tj or yj in 4hi, the front and rear axles are locked together and the least amount of wheels with traction is 2 (1 on the front axle and 1 on the rear axle)

hope this makes any since at all

Comment

i need a challenging RTI ramp...bring it over.

Comment

Its the same theory of operation as the GC transfer case. its a viscous clutch that when in high senses slip and proportions torque to front and back appropriately. When you pull the handle it locks the "center diff" and now it's operating like a normal manual t case. Center locking differential was a marketing idea to sell the same old stuff that all wheel drive sport utes used to be. Not mini vans mind you, just a wifey friendly t case. And theyre really nice until that viscous coupler goes out and the stealership wants to charge you both arms and a leg for one.
        Last edited by adventure bob; 11-21-2005, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone. That makes sense. I keep telling the wife we should try wheeling this thing. She got very nervous the other night when I found out that you can actually get lifts for this thing. Believe it or not, there are guys out there that have big tires on them. I dunno, doesn't look right to me. She doesn't have to worry. Can't have her car bigger than my Jeep! Sounds like a good idea that I bucked up for the extended warranty.

Comment

Working...
          X